An old corner shop
When the visitor strolls through the old lane, he always discovers something new. On one hand the toy shop Gustav Prömper, on the other hand the old corner shop "Handlung Heinrich Balter" from 1895. OK, admittedly, not all canned goods, coffee cans, razor blades originate from this time, but a large part does. The rest is from around 1920 to 1955. Childhood memories are awakened here, "Josef take a look at the old scales, the rustic coffee cans, everything's just like Aunt Erna did back then", a visitor is amazed.
"How did they collect it all?" the visitors ask themselves.
Thousands of individual parts, whether razor blades, old Persil, Sil or Henko packaging. Everything could be found here. Small and big aches and pains could be relieved here as well. Whether nerve pills, plasters, stomach or cough drops. Disappeared into laboratories and pharmacies today, there was real medicine and chemistry to be found in the corner shops at that time. Whether hydrogen or boron water, ammonia and glycerine, Franzbranntwein and Melissengeist. The corner shop didn't just know about bread and detergents, it was also a pharmacy assistant and first aid station, which sometimes served as a box of sorrows. A corner shop of the 20's was the centre of the village, one met and talked, was well advised and sometimes also comforted. Grandpas cheroot, or father's cigarettes, grandma's yarn and mother's flour were availab.e. There was a certain atmosphere in the air. Today's supermarkets are a sign of the times, shelves filled with cheap special items from the Far East, tropical fruits are flown in from the Caribbean in winter, everything's somehow sterile. One goes on a bargain hunt, is happy to be the first to get something, and gets angry, even if only three people are standing in front at the checkout. The human part is missing, too bad.
"If only we could once again have such a shop in the village", raves a visitor.